Saturday, July 4, 2009

Skeletal animation, Blender and math

I am implementing a basic graphic engine. So far the engine can, briefly, load textured 3d models from an OBJ files and render them. I am making this engine with the idea of making an abstraction layer over OpenGL in order to manipulate 3d objects as simply as possible...

Now, I am adding skeletal animation to the engine. I have created a python script to export an armature and its animation from Blender into a home-made-OBJ-like-formated file (OBJ does not support animation). The engine can load that file, so an armature can be attached to a mesh in order to deform the latter. I broke my teeth implementing the skeletal animation and get lost into the maths. As a result, I obtained distorted animation, far from satisfying.

Thus, I decided wisely to learn about the math around skeleton animation. After some searches, I have found a very interesting presentation from a video game programming course in which all the maths I need were in, described concisely. I suggest to read this presentation to anyone who want to know about skeletal animation from a mathematical point of view. It is really crystal clear, as I like. Thanks to Jason Gregory.

No comments:

Post a Comment